What Happens If I Have a Warrant In Another City | Us Warrants

What Happens If I Have a Warrant In Another City

Please fill in the form below to begin your Warrant search

Your search remains confidential. The search subject will not be notified.

If you have a warrant in another city within the United States, the police can arrest you based on that warrant. However, they must return you to the city where the arrest warrant originated. Once you’re in custody, the law enforcement agency will contact the judge, who will issue an extradition warrant. This allows the arresting officers to transfer you to the city where you committed the crime. Know also that police cannot legally take you to another jurisdiction without an extradition warrant. If they did, it would violate your rights because it’s a “forced relocation,” which is prohibited under the Fourth Amendment.

Your warrant will likely appear in another city, county, or even another state, and you will be detained. The process begins when there’s probable cause to issue an out-of-state warrant of arrest. Whether issued for an arrest or search, warrants are legal orders issued by a court that authorizes law enforcement to take specific actions.

If you’ve been arrested on an out-of-town warrant, or if police attempt to arrest you on a warrant from another jurisdiction, it’s recommended to contact an attorney immediately. In the United States, states and territories must extradite anyone charged with a felony, misdemeanor, or even petty offense in another US state or territory, even if the offense is not a crime in the custodial state.

If a police officer pulls you over and runs your identity through the database, they will likely see if there is an active arrest warrant in another state against you. If you have a warrant out for your arrest in another state and the police find you, you will be arrested. But, you will be taken into custody in that state. The state that issued your arrest warrant cannot cross state borders and arrest you in a different state jurisdiction.

Extradition of persons located abroad can take many months or even years to complete. The jurisdiction (city or county) where the arrest occurred will typically hold that person in custody at their local jail while awaiting extradition proceedings. If you know the bench warrant exists and you do not have a lawyer, getting one as soon as possible is recommended.

How can I find out if I have a warrant in another city?

To find out if you have a warrant in another city, you can use several methods:

  1. Online Search: Many cities and counties have online databases where you can search for warrants. For example, the San Diego County Superior Court has an online database where you can search for warrants by name. Similarly, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department provides an online warrant search. If you’re looking for warrants in a specific city or county, you can Google “arrest warrants in [insert city & state]” and use the local government websites that appear in the search results.

  2. Sheriff’s Office or Court’s Website: You can search the local sheriff’s office or court’s website for information about outstanding warrants. These websites often have a search function where you can enter your name to see if there are any active warrants.

  3. Public Records Sites: There are also independent public records sites where you can search for active warrants. However, these sites may charge a fee for their services.

  4. Contacting Law Enforcement or a Legal Professional: If you cannot find the information online, you can contact the local law enforcement agency or a legal professional in the city where you think the warrant might be issued. They can help you determine if there is an active warrant.

Remember, if you find out you have an active warrant, you must take it seriously. You should consider seeking legal advice to understand your options and next steps. Ignoring a warrant can lead to complications, such as being arrested unexpectedly.